WHAT TO DO AT AN ICE CHECKPOINT: ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE A WHITE CITIZEN
Copied and Pasted from a Facebook post that originated at http://coyoteri.org/wp/5124-2/
- Verify citizenship within 100 miles of a border or "external boundary” including coastlines. Most of the people in this country live within this zone.
- They can ONLY ask brief questions about citizenship; they cannot hold you for an extended time without cause.
• You have the right to remain silent.
• You do not need to answer their questions.
WITH THAT SAID, IF YOU ARE A BORN CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES AND ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE WHITE, YOU NEED TO SPEAK UP.
HOW TO RESIST:
- Go Small! Be the friction that slows the process! OUR SILENCE PERMITS ICE TO DO AS THEY PLEASE!
- IF the vehicle you are on is boarded, Stand up and LOUDLY let everyone know THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT or ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS IN THE PRESENCE OF AN ATTORNEY, no matter their citizenship or immigration status. THIS CAN SAVE LIVES.
- If you see anyone being held up by immigration, loudly ask if they are being detained and if they are free to go.
- Immigration officers cannot detain anyone without reasonable suspicion, an agent must have specific facts about you that make it reasonable to believe you are committing or committed, a violation of immigration law or federal law.
- If an agent detains you, you can ask for their basis for reasonable suspicion, and they should tell you.
• ALWAYS SAY NO TO A SEARCH AND LET EVERYONE KNOW THEY CAN ALSO REFUSE A SEARCH.
• They cannot search or arrest anyone without probably cause (facts about that make it probable that they are committing, or committed, a violation of immigration law or federal law.)
• Silence alone IS NOT PROBABLE CAUSE!
• AS WHITE CITIZENS, we have a level of privilege which protects us from retaliation from ICE for being "rude" and making a scene, which makes it our DUTY to speak up and make sure people without the same privilege know their rights. GET LOUD. YELL. YELL IN SPANISH IF YOU KNOW IT. LET PEOPLE KNOW THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY SHIT. MAKE ICE UNCOMFORTABLE. THROW SAND IN THE GEARS OF WHITE SUPREMACY.
• IT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL TO RECORD ICE as long as you are not on government property or at a port of entry. START VIDEOTAPING IMMEDIATELLY!
• If you are detained or see someone getting detained, get the agent's name, number, and any other identifying information. Get it on tape.
• Contact the ACLU if you see someone's rights being violated.